Constitutional Courts and the Legislature: A DISCUSSION WITH PROF. DR. ANDREAS VO Kuhle
Friends of Freiburg is pleased to welcome Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Andreas Voßkuhle, former President of the Federal Constitutional Court (Bundesverfassungsgericht) of Germany. Prof. Dr. Voßkuhle serves on the faculty of law at the University of Freiburg, and was briefly rector of the university, before his appointment to the Federal Constitutional Court. He will speak about the relationship between the German Federal Constitutional Court and legislature, and draw comparisons with the United States Supreme Court. The talk is entitled "Verfassungsgerichte und der Gesetzgeber" ("Constitutional Courts and the Legislature").
This discussion will be held in German. Advanced registration is required.
Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Andreas Voßkuhle:
- born 1963 in Detmold
- Studied law in Bayreuth and Munich
- 1992 Doctorate in Munich with a dissertation on "Legal Protection against the Judge"
- 1995 Referent (Assistant) in the Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior
- 1998 Habilitation at the University of Augsburg with a thesis on "The Compensation Principle"
- Since 1999 Chair of Public Law at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg and Director of the Institute for Political Science and Philosophy of Law (Department 1)
- Main fields of work: constitutional law, general administrative law, public economic law, environmental law, and state and legal theory
- Fellow at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin for the academic year 2006/2007
- Since 1. April 2008 Rector of Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg (July 2007 election)
- May 2008: Appointment as Judge and Vice President of the German Federal Constitutional Court
- March 2010: Appointment as President of the German federal Constitutional Court. Term of office ended June 22, 2020
- Full Member of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities (since 2007) and of the National Academy of Sciences
- Leopoldina (since 2018)
- Member of the Comité 255 (since 2014), Member of the Senate of the Max-Planck-Society (since 2012) and the Scientific Advisory Board of the Thyssen-Foundation (since 2015)
- Chair of „Gegen Vergessen – Für Demokratie e.V.“
- Numerous honors and awards